Tax Lawyer New Haven, CT
If you or a loved one needs assistance with taxes, you need to contact a tax lawyer in New Haven, Connecticut, like a lawyer from Barlow Tax Solutions, right away. There are many different reasons someone may need to hire a tax lawyer. It could be primarily for business reasons, or it could be for assistance with individual taxes. Continue reading to see how we can help you.
It is always important to have a business tax lawyer if you have your own company. No matter if you are large or small, online or in-store, or whether or not you have any employees working for you, it is crucial to have a tax lawyer on your side so that your business files everything properly and on time. Your business tax lawyer will be a crucial part of your team, as he or she can give you peace of mind that everything you need done will be taken care of and ensure that you do not have any problematic business practices. People should know how to pay their taxes. However, there is more to it than that. One of the issues pertaining to business taxes is that sometimes, there might be miscommunication when it comes to the requirement to pay taxes. For example; I know of companies that covered people having to pay their own taxes, but there was a miscommunication, and as such, the IRS mistook an individual as not having to pay their taxes. Moreover, when it comes to owning a business, people should also prepare for taxes ahead of time, instead of waiting until the last minute. In other words. When tax season is coming up, a business owner should do an efficient job of looking at how much they will have to owe.
We can help individuals with anything that we help businesses with as well. Sometimes, people with high net worth need a high-net-worth tax lawyer. It is important to have someone on your side so that if any issues ever do arise, you can get assistance immediately. Your assets need to be protected, and having a tax lawyer on your side will ensure that they are. You never want to make a mistake in filing your taxes that later costs you much more than it should. Speak to someone at Barlow Tax Solutions today to see what preventative measures we can take and how we may help you. Whether you got a concerning letter from the IRS or are just curious about tax laws, contact our office today. Moreover, sometimes companies do not make it clear enough, whether one is an independent contractor, will have to pay taxes or not. This ties into communication aspects, since failing to pay taxes can do damage, in relation to one’s credibility in relation to credit, a business they work for, future businesses that they may end up working at, etc.
Issues with the IRS
If you have had problems with the IRS, a tax lawyer in New Haven, CT from Barlow Tax Solutions will be able to help you. Whether you were audited or had another dispute come up, one of our experienced lawyers will be able to look at your situation to see what the best way of getting you out of a bind will be. We can look at old documents to see what kind of back taxes you may owe and whether or not we can help get some of the problems forgiven. Dealing with the IRS can be frightening and confusing at times, so it is important to have someone on your side who understands tax laws and will have your best interest at heart.
Common Issues People Face from the IRS
There are many issues that an individual or business can face from the IRS when it comes to taxes. While you will often hear horror stories about tax evasion and facing serious offenses from the IRS, it’s fairly common to face some difficulties with the IRS at some point in your life. Moreover, there are also times where IRS issues can happen, due to errors in situations of requests for financial help. For example; there have been people who have gotten fraudulent letters in the mail, saying that they need to pay back the IRS, in relation to unemployment benefits that they received months prior. These letters are in error, and failure to address this, can lead to the IRS thinking that one is refusing to pay back, out of delinquency. Having an experienced tax lawyer on your side will help you navigate these difficulties and rectify any issues. Some common problems people face from the IRS include:
- Being penalized for issues such as late payments, filing taxes late, or filing an inaccurate tax return.
- Having unpaid taxes which can range from having several years of back taxes owed, unclaimed assets, or unclaimed interest from stocks.
- Failure to file your taxes or filing your taxes improperly (intentionally or unintentionally).
- Not reporting all your sources of income, including any W2s or 1099s.
- Making incorrect math errors when filing your taxes.
- Being audited by the IRS.
Reasons Why the IRS Might Audit You
There are a variety of reasons why the IRS might choose to audit you and/or your business and some of the reasons overlap with general tax filing issues. Some of these reasons include:
- Making math errors, especially when they dramatically change the outcome of your tax return. One common mistake people may make is rounding numbers especially when it comes to income such as business expenses and freelance work. Although this makes calculating your return easier, the IRS is bound to raise an eyebrow when all your numbers are round and neat.
- Failing to report some sources of income which may range from freelance jobs to W2s, stock dividends, interests, etc.
- Errors with claiming charitable donations such as claiming a substantial charity donation without having the proper documentation to prove it.
- Deducting business expenses that might contain discrepancies and/or be open to serious scrutiny such as claiming a new flat-screen TV as part of a home office deduction.
How a Tax Lawyer Can Help
Facing a confrontation from the IRS can be a stressful event, but a lawyer can help resolve the issue. Depending upon the situation there are a variety of ways that a lawyer can help. Some strategies they can employ include:
- Negotiating with the IRS for a payment plan and a penalty reduction.
- Help with the preparation of unfiled income tax returns.
- Help prevent, stop, or reduce wage garnishment and bank levy releases.
- Help prevent or walk you through bankruptcy.
A qualified tax lawyer will help you or your business through any financial issue and will communicate with the IRS. There are many reasons why someone might be facing tax issues and they can range from financial hardships to small math errors to simply not understanding the full process when filing.
Contact Barlow Tax Solutions Today
No matter what your tax needs may be, you should contact Barlow Tax Solutions right away to set up a consultation with one of our experienced tax lawyers. We can go over your financial situation, determine what your needs may be, then go from there. The lawyers at Barlow Tax Solutions are understanding and patient, so feel free to reach out about any questions you may have regarding tax law.